Abbadia San Salvatore

The Abbazia di San Salvatore or Abbadia San Salvatore is an abbey in the town of Abbadia San Salvatore, Tuscany, Italy, to which it gives its name.

The traditional account of its origin indicates that the Lombard king Ratchis founded the abbey in 743, entrusting it to the Benedictines. Later handed over to the Cistercians, the abbey played an important regional role, being often in conflict with the houses of the Aldobrandeschi and the Orsini, as well as other allies of the Holy Roman Emperors.

 

 

Church of San Leonardo

founded in the 13th century by Benedictine monks and has been known since 1296. View outside two medieval doorways and the Bell Tower built in the 18th century and raised in 1914. The Interior is covered with rectangular scarsella trusses and presents a transversal arch which separates the nave from the chancel.
Chiesa di San Leonardo 3 Abbadia S.Salvatore.jpg

 

 

The Mining Museum of Abbadia San Salvatore

 West of the village is located in the area that was of the company of mercury mines, which have been renovated the buildings now owned by the municipality.