Of medieval origin, the first citations date back to the XIII century. Due to its strategic position, the fortified village of gargonza was long at the center of conflicts between Guelphs and Ghibellines. In 1304, according to some historians, hosted Dante Alighieri, who participated in a meeting between the Florentine Ghibellines and Arezzo. A few years later, the castle was besieged by the Florentines; in 1381 it passed to the Republic of Siena, to be occupied again by the militia of Florence. In 1433, the revolt of the local population caused a severe repression by the Florentines, who razed the village to the ground, leaving the tower at the top of the town.
In 1546 the castle passed to the family Lotteringhi della Stufa; during the eighteenth century it became the property of the Marquis Corsi, becoming an agricultural estate. In the first half of the 19th century the village accommodated over 500 people. In the second half of the 20th century, after the depopulation of the village, the castle was restored by the will of Count Roberto guicciardini Corsi salviati and adapted for tourist purposes.