The necropolis of Poggio Renzo was already used during the Iron Age (IX-VIII sec. BC), as evidenced by the excavations carried out in 1872-73 during which were brought to light some well tombs with ossuaries of villanovian type. These burials occupied the top of the hill. On the slopes, on the other hand, later burials (7th cent. BC) consisting of thick ziri containing canopies.
In the last century were also discovered important chamber tombs with decoration painted today unfortunately lost. One of these, with a single room with a central partition, presented to the walls real and fantastic animals of orientalizing taste, while another tomb consisting of three rooms, with docks along the walls, showed a scene of hunting the hare and other representations for the most part already perished at the time of the excavation.