Piancastagnaio

The area of Piancastagnaio was part of land in had, since the 8th century, the Abbey of San Salvatore, from which it took the name around the country. In the late 12th century there was already a small fortified city walls in Piancastagnaio enclosing the uppermost part of the current town. In the following century, with economic development and the birth of the municipality, the town expanded much beyond these walls.

The main attractions include the Pieve of Santa Maria Assunta, in Baroque style but existing from before 1188

Pieve maria assunta piancastagnaio.jpg

the Palazzo Bourbon Del Monte and the Rocca Aldobrandesca (“Aldobrandeschi Castle”).

The Palio
The palio of Piancastagnaio is the crowning event of the life of the four districts in which divides the municipality; the four districts are:
Hamlet (yellow-blue colours, armorial salienthorse prancing turned left)
Chorus (red-black colors, Crest Eagle with open wings and head turned to the right)
Castle (redgreen, emblem two castle towers, of which the keep right”)
Voltaia (white-black, coat of arms “oak in an arched doorway)

 

The career traditionally takes place every August 18, when the districts will compete in palio to win, on horses mounted, the banner of victory that until 10 August remains exposed in the Town Hall.
After the palio follows a night of celebration for the winning contrada with choruses of joy and light banter.

 

.

 

geographic coordinates